At St Andrew’s we have pledged to tithe our income each year. We have selected a number of charities or good causes that will be the beneficiaries of this money in 2018 and the amount given will be around £4000.
St Andrew’s also supports other charities and good causes through specific fund raising events and also a coordinated personal giving scheme.
The Lister Hostel is one of the hostels run by the Diocese of Trichy-Tanjore within the Church of South India that is completely reliant on the local church for its finances. The Diocese runs seventeen hostels in total and fourteen are self financing with parental contributions.
The Lister Hostel provides a safe haven and schooling for children with socially challenging family situations and where there is very little money available following family breakup.
The church has to cover the costs of teachers, cooks, carers as well as the every day costs of running the hostel and providing food.
This charity Embrace, formerly known as Bible Lands, works by tackling poverty and injustice in the Middle East, through supporting education, healthcare, community development .
Compassion supports children in poor countries by watching over them in education. The charity works by asking it’s supporters to sponsor a specific child.
The commitment that St Andrews is making is to sponsor a child for 5 years. This would both allow and encourage a number of different members of the congregation to write to the child, celebrate the child’s birthday and offer additional support at special times int eh year such as Easter and Christmas.
Writing to the child is considered by Compassion to be more important than the monetary gift that is sent.
PROSTaid is a voluntary team comprised principally of prostate cancer sufferers, their families & friends and members of the University of Leicester Hospitals Urological team in the East Midlands Prostate Cancer Area. We fund two local PROSTaid prostate cancer nurses in the East Midlands, based in Leicester, more than anywhere else in the NHS! We raise public awareness of the disease locally, offer vital support and befriending for patients with the disease by men who have prostate cancer.
We provide five Support groups throughout our area, to give support to local men newly diagnosed and treated and to patients with advanced prostate cancer. We fund new innovative treatments, tests and equipment. We at PROSTaid are a local Charity formed in 2006 with a positive attitude to prostate cancer and our aim is still to continue to improve treatments and save lives!
Mercy Ships is a faith-based international development organisation that deploys hospital ships to some of the poorest countries in the world, delivering vital, free healthcare to people in desperate need.
- Participation in God’s mission and the proclamation of God’s kingdom are at the heart of Jesus’ message and continue to be empowered by the Holy Spirit’s activity in the church and in the world.
- Every Methodist is called to share in this mission, working together in cooperation, partnership and collaboration wherever they are.
- Sharing God’s mission embraces and unites social action and evangelical proclamation as good news for all people in every aspect of their being. It is through that mission that God will enable holiness, transforming lives, communities, nations and the world.
- God’s mission is expressed both locally and globally and the Methodist Church in Britain celebrates being in partnership with the worldwide community of Methodist, United and Uniting Churches.
- Mission at home and overseas is all one mission.